Saturday, June 21, 2008

Knit Doily Revival

Don'tcha just love doilies? This one is called, "Egeblad" and this particular doily pattern is one I wrote and knitted with extensions. The original pattern is available free from Yarnover.net and the extensions are located on my Ravelry project page-http://www.ravelry.com/projects/mwhite/egeblad This is another one done in a Rose "flavored" 3/2 100% Mercerized Cotton from Valley Yarns Valley Cotton collection. What wonderful people work at Yarn.com/WEBS! The attention to detail and your order are carefully packed and shipped with lightning speed. My personal "Doily Revival" all started with me joining a KAL on Knittinghelp.com for the Hemlock Ring. I still haven't completed my Hemlock Ring because I wanted to make it large enough to be a tablecloth and the yarn I used was just not suitable to the original pattern or Jared's(Brooklyn Tweed website)modified version. I further extended Jared's extensions up to round 147. I knitted and completed the entire piece with TLC Cotton Plus and size 6(US) needles. After it was off the needles and ready to be blocked, I realized that it would never lay out entirely flat and with the cotton/acrylic blend, would always have those "hips". Now, anyone who's knitted the Hemlock Ring pattern knows EXACTLY what I mean by hips. So, I am currently testing a modified version of the extended extension (what a mouthful), using the TLC Cotton Plus and will be posting progress and the end results as it is completed. I feel sure that anyone that loves cottons, blends, acrylics and other unstretchable fibers will appreciate my perseverance and quest to make this pattern more user friendly and open more fiber choice doors.

No comments: